Monday, March 1, 2010

The Newest Benz


As I was walking home after a jam-packed day, the sun was beating on my weary body, and I was feeling very complete after my first French class (lunch on the go from the Alliance Francaise vending machine -- which makes a very good jambon and butter on wheat), a Gala meeting at the Marriott Rive Gauche, followed by marketing with a fellow-AWG member in Chinatown, and then a stop-in to say hello to my friend Carolyn, with a little Oprah-watching (yes, she gets it), while munching on some recently purchased Belgian chocolate.

As I was walking home, arms full of dumplings and French work books, I saw the chance to add to my list of responsibilities (and unnecessary tab for the day): a Beta. As I had just left Carolyn and Chuck (her Beta), I figured if she can do it, so can I. Our flat is a little small, but we could make the room. So, in I went, and was quickly welcomed by the shopkeeper -- and a large, well-dressed French man who appeared to be hanging out amongst the goldfish and frogs as a post-work activity. As I picked out my Beta and his accommodations (which ended up being his old digs: a free bottle from the owner), I had one of those "We speak different languages" moments. The dapper giant turned to me and said, "Moose?" To which I replied, "Non, fish." (I usually assume that if I use a French article, they will understand the English noun.) We went back and forth a few times before he made a suffocation motion with his hands and neck. I got a little freaked out, and then had my "Aha!" moment. "Moss?" I asked, and pointed to the green slimy clump in the nearest tank. He smiled, and then had the owner dig out a wad and toss into into the bottle. Glad to know he was looking out for the well-being of my Beta, and was not asking to see if I was interested in taking home a large, antlered mammal, which we would not have room for, for certain.

As I sit here and type, Reuilly-Diderot is enjoying his new home, and very thankful for the "moose" that accompanies him. His name stems from a Metro stop on Line 1 that makes me smile every time I hear the automated system pronounce it (and very much enjoy mimicking). Since he is supposed to be in a warmer climate and I will be turning off the lamp at bedtime, we have pulled out a Vineyard Vines coozie to serve as his blanket. Between his moose and his coozie, I would say R.D. is a very lucky fish indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment