Sunday, August 14, 2011

Life Goes On

It would have been polite of me to write a “thanks for reading, we are done” post. But, as life took over and blogging took back seat, it never happened. Or, perhaps it was my subconscious way of not wanting to throw in the towel quite yet. Whatever the rationale (insert: laziness), here I find myself. Even if our three readers have decreased to one (coucou Micki!) one day it will be grand to look back and read about how Matt and I voluntarily uprooted our already hectic lives in another country to squeeze our possessions and our relationship into 200 square feet, fought French beauacracy, failed to learn the language, and still managed to carve out a nice life for ourselves. Either that or this was the closest I could get to therapy (as yes, it is not covered by French healthcare).

Below you will find the “need-to-knows” of Mashley’s last 4 months.

Mont Saint Michel (April 30-May 1) We were given this weekend getaway by my parents who visited the magical mont years ago and found it to be so romantic, that they sent us there for an anniversary gift (perhaps in a secret attempt to show us that hectic city living does not lend itself well to romance?). We didn’t decide to pack it up and live as nomads on the sand flats surrounding this mystical spot, but we did have an amazing weekend together. Kate and Will started the weekend off right, but staying in an old hunting lodge and watching the tides rush in certainly helped to make it a weekend to remember. Merci, maman et papa!

Waiting for the tides to come in

At the top!

May proved to be both exciting and trying. When I was given the news that my father would need to start radiation, the ocean between us seemed a little too wide. As is my compulsive nature, I decided a visit home to check-in was a must (although without my parents' consent). I have never carried out such a large surprise, and to this day look back on that visit with no regret and only fondess. The gods were on my side as I had a whole row of seats on my journey over which started off the trip on the best foot (or more like back) possible. What followed was even better. Time with my family, and the much coveted routine that I still don’t have here. Bikram yoga, train downtown, reading Twilight in the park, and radiation session with my dad. Although at first I was apprehensive about the last component, it ended up being just what I needed to get peace of mind about what has happening. Besides befriending the nurses that were administering the radiation, I still have vivid images in my mind about the waiting room and the people that were sharing this journey with my dad. There was no stereotype – people of all ages, races, socio-economic classes, and stages. This was the first time I truly realized that this is a disease that affects everyone --- right down to my father. What makes the difference is how people let the disease affect them. Most days we would be leaving as a very tall, imposing African-American man with a park service uniform would come in for his appointment. He would switch the TV in the waiting room to a Nickelodeon sitcom and sit there and howl at the sub-par comedy. I will carry that laughter with me always.

It worked out only too perfectly that Mother’s Day also fell during my time home. Although I would like to think that my trinkets from abroad are usually ample as her gifts, I do hope that this year my presence was just a wee bit better.

I got back just in time to exit the country once again. This time I had my husband with me and we made the much shorter voyage to Finland. The home of Marimekko is simply divine. Parks everywhere, a low-key pace of life combined with beauty, friendliness, and grandeur. Matt and I immediately fell in love with the city, only to spend part of our time there traversing via boat (think cruise ship meets booze cruise) to Tallinn, Estonia. In the two hour boat ride we were transported to what Disney was channeling when they mass-produced the fairy tale. The sun shining on the cobblestone, gorgeous medieval buildings, lush gardens and grass, and another population that was both charming and welcoming. As we sat outside having a beer, it was one of the moments where everything felt right.

Main shopping street of Helsinki

Tallinn

View of the picturesque Estonian roof tops!

And, to continue the high, we were met upon return by Micki and John! It was such a treat to come back to Paris to the in-laws, and made coming back to Paris that much more welcoming. As always, our time was spent with Matt and I being spoiled in a multitude of ways. Roland Garros, amazing dinners, and Londres! Although our weather in London was far from our stint in Finland and Estonia, being in such a beautiful city prompted us to still enjoy our time there. Whether it was eating mac n’ cheese at Tom’s Kitchen (in Pippa’s hood!), or having an afternoon drink at the Brown’s Hotel, it was both relaxing and special. If the sun had come out, I may have forfeited my return ticket on the Eurostar. Although, then I would be stuck speaking English everyday. Where is the fun in being able to communicate?

Roland Garros

Chez Benz
In June and July the travel slowed down which was necessary in order to celebrate birthdays, births (welcome to Ella and Luchian), and enjoy our new piece of Paris. We also mourned the move home of our dear friends, Carolyn and Erich. This was my first time “losing” a good friend since we moved here and it quickly reminds you that this lifestyle is quite transient. It also reminds you how important it is to have good friends in order to make a city truly your home. We know that although our time was spent together in Paris, we will be friends regardless of our location. That is the test of friendship, and we have been quite fortunate to find lots of it here.

Au revoir to Carolyn & Erich
Les Hommes

Day trip to Giverny (look closely to see the lillipads behind us)

And, as fortunate as we are to have amazing friends here, the family can't seem to resist the City of Lights every now and again as well. My parents finished up an eastern European tour with us here, which reminded me where my ability to walk for hours comes from -- them! We also were to privy to dinner with my CA family. It was a nice teaser for the summer vacation to come!

CA Haighs on rue Cler

We are also finally settled into our little shoebox with a view, and were privy enough to be able to see the Bastille Day (le 14 juillet) fireworks after picnicking on the Champ de Mars. You know you live close to the Eiffel Tower when you can walk home to use the loo instead of squatting at a port-a-pot. Life really has improved by moving to the 7th arrondissement.

Sunset on July 14!

Our new location also made the return to Paris after three weeks in the States (dare I say) tolerable, and even potentially enjoyable. However, my time home was filled with so many wonderfully American activities (and friends!) that it was hard to know that it had to come to a close. From the Jersey Shore with Quinn (yes, it can be lovely and quite demure despite what Snookie has done for it), to le grande pomme with the Core Four, I took back with me a slue of fantastic memories (and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers). And although it was not France, the Miller/Benz clan also did a little wine tasting and museum-going so as to not make us feel too far from “home.”

The fam in Bayhead

Wine tasting with the whole crew!

The Hofmanns and Benzes in LBI

The Core Four tearing up le grande pomme

And, what now? We aren’t sure. Although ideally we would like more euros, a work visa for me, better healthcare and the ability to flit back and forth across the ocean without any financial damage, we do seem to be in a good place. We are truly “living” in Paris. Yesterday was the Barbes-Rochechart marche where your groceries for the week can be bought for 20 euros (pending no hospital bills for being pushed over by aggressive cart-carters). We are eagerly awaiting all of friends to come back from summer vacances, but in the interim are enjoying the company of those braving out August with us. We still see La Grande Dame sparkle everynight from our window, and we are a happy married couple. To quote the French, “C’est la vie.” And right now, it seems to be going well for us.


PS-- The title of the post comes from a string band that was preforming in the Concorde metro stop. As they sang "Life Goes On" in mangled English, the bigger meaning really hit home (and reminded me of my days watching Corky).

1 comment:

  1. Ashley: You sound great. Life isn't perfect but it is good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete