Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Belly Ache

If France were to have turkeys (which they don’t --- I am still on the ultimate quest for dinde sausage), I do believe it would differ from the American turkey. First and foremost, it would be black and grey. That whole brown, yellow and orange motif is way too much color for the French. Secondly, it would be too slow to be fair game (pun intended). The turkeys would never feel the need to run around, as exercise is unnecessary, and to add to that, it is stressful to rush. So, they would simply sit quietly in the field all day, every once in awhile running into each other to uphold that love off invading personal space. Gobbling? Absolutely not. That would expend too much energy. And, all the meat would be smoked (and I don’t mean for flavor--- instead of Pilgrim pictures on the wrapping there would be Marlboro Men). If you were to score a turkey here in France, chances are the paper booties that come on them would have heels---and be designer. But even if you do find one, I wouldn’t bother eating the turkey as it was probably packaged after the worker decided to stop striking and go back to work. So, chances are that it is spoiled (I mean the turkey, but we can throw the unionized worker in that category as well).

As I frequently like to drown in my turkey-free sorrows here, I read an interesting OpEd this weekend when I was in Prague (okay, I know that is grounds enough to stop complaining). The quote was, “If your belly is full, quit your belly-aching.” It went on to talk about how we don’t stop to think about how good we have it. As I sat there sipping my coffee in a five-star hotel, my instant response was not one I should type on a public space. There may be children reading this.

It is the day to day shee that I so enjoy lamenting over. I am starting out my Thanksgiving day here with an MRI that was three months in the making (in a clinic where they don’t speak English), fetching a pair of insoles that I had to track down after paying gobs of money (since we still don’t have our carte vitales) only to take my notice to the post office and have them tell me that the package will arrive tomorrow at the post office. What?! Or, the fact that I was offered a job three months ago and still can’t get an answer as to if and when I am starting it. But, at least I have tutoring, which feels really nice on the days where my back and leg are aching, and I am on the dirty metro toting around a bag with foam balls, felt letters, and bribery bon-bons. But as I collect soaps and travel shampoos from my hotels for my kiddos at EMDH, or receive emails from my monsters-of-yore, it stops me for just a moment and reminds me that I am so privileged. Um, maybe even spoiled.

As I leave on Friday for Budapest with my soul mate (yes, he has stuck with me through my belly-aching for “two” anniversaries now), it will be a nice reinforcement that I have pages of things to be thankful for. Not to mention the fact that Hungary was once under a communist regime --- now there is a reason to complain! And, as I gear up to head back to the States to see a million people that I love and adore, but will be sad to leave new friends behind, that alone should be enough to fill my belly (which by the way has gotten a lot bigger since gyms are too expensive here!). I have learned that love is the ultimate food, and that you will never be fulfilled if you don’t have it---beaucoup d’elle. But yet I can’t seem to cease my incessant whimpering. Maybe that whimpering is a side effect of a belly that is so full of love that it aches?

Yet selfishly, I wouldn’t mind just one little juicy piece of turkey (the American variety, of course). However, since my belly is already approaching maximum, I will settle for living in Paris with a husband I adore, a family I love dearly, friends who are supportive and caring, a want for nothing, and a sense of purpose. With of course, stuffing on the side.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and may your bellies be full today, tomorrow and everyday!


One of the many reasons I am thankful (taken in a Prague tower)

A shot of the glorious city of Prague

No comments:

Post a Comment