Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Little Material Goes a Long Way


Marrakech is truly unbelievable, as the colors combined with the abnormal sensations are truly out of this world (take waking up at 5am to the call to prayer that is being broadcast throughout the town over loud speakers that seem especially loud when they wake you from a deep sleep). Or as Matt put it, you feel like you should be battling the crowds, turning a deaf ear to the shopkeepers’ incessant haggling, and swerving around motorbikes and donkeys with your Indiana Jones hat on. The experience is that different and that “movie-like.” But what disappointed me most from the whole experience was not anything having to do with the lack of sanitation, or the pollution that finally forced me to a pharmacist in Essaouira. It was that most of the tourists were dressed like Hollywood starlets off the screen, and therefore ruined the romantic effect. Booty shorts next to a burka are not okay.

I say this because it is clear (visually and audibly) that there is a very unique, well-respected Muslim culture in Morocco. Most Americans (and tourists alike) know about the real Muslim world only from watching the news, or forming their opinions based on what the burka has come to mean to the Western world. Being one of the many who knew that there was a different way of life, but not exactly what it was, I turned to the trusty Internet prior to departure. When I Googled “appropriate attire” for le maroc, it prompted me to tear through my closet to find the correct elements that would uphold and not insult the Muslim culture (covered shoulders, longer bottoms and a shawl for your head inside religious buildings). As I hemmed and hawed over my hem length, I got anxious thinking that I would possibly be deemed offensive, which is the last thing I want to be when visiting someone else’s country. Well, apparently no one else was running to H&M at the last minute to buy long shorts to wear under all of their sleeved kaftans. Apparently no other tourists even bothered to bring sleeves (or bras for that matter). The attire was appalling, and I am not a practicing Muslim. At what point do people realize that “when in Rome” has a dual meaning? It is important to be open to what a new culture has to offer, but you must respect that culture as well, attire included.

As any good American would do prior to departure, I also tried to find out where in Marrakech the scenes from Sex & the City II were filmed. Although the search was fruitless, I did see pictures of SJP in her t-shirt (sleeves included) and her floor-length skirt. Look, none of us know SJP, but we can all safely say we have seen most of her bod (and a fine one at that). If SJP is willing to forgo fashion and revealing a little skin to respect the Muslim culture, so should we. Respect goes a long way, and should go at least to your knees next time you visit Morocco.

No comments:

Post a Comment