Friday, April 16, 2010

Excuses

Before you read my trivial drivel, watch this noteworthy palindrome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=42E2fAWM6rA

So what exactly do I do each week? Why does it take me way too long to respond to emails, and why have you not received a thank-you note yet for the fantastic wedding gift you bestowed upon Matt and mw almost half a year ago? As I was hoping to start my volunteering on Mondays and Tuesday for Enfants du Monde, it has been put on hold. However, it worked out just fine as this Monday I had a five hour-long (vino-drinking) pow-wow about the Gala, and came up with the oh-so important contribution that next year, leading up to it, we should have “psyche” up happy hours. It is time to shake things up a bit. And on that note, because of this meeting, I missed my spelling bee meeting! Maybe I should suggest the idea of happy hours for the bee as well (or maybe they already covered it in my absence).


Tuesday I ended up missing both the WOAC brunch and the AWG coffee group due to lethargy and sinus issues associated with the pollen. I love the trees and flowers, but my head seems to believe otherwise. I could go get some medicine, but I would rather suffer than spend $800 on Claritin or something of the like. So, it was me and the couch (and my Disney Princess and Humpty-Dumpty CD-ROMs, picking out songs for the English lesson I would give that evening). Fast-forward to two adorable, eager-learners handing me my Pure Romance pen that I had left at their house the week before when I was tracing their feet for the “body part” lesson. Hopefully they weren’t able to understand what body parts were being advertised via the pen. Post lesson it was time to head to a happy hour where we discussed the fashion show a fellow-AWG member is going to put on the benefit our charities. Surprise! I volunteered to help.


Wednesday was laundry, and a missed book club meeting. My pillow case was growing things, and the other small issue was that I hadn’t read the book. AND, I was going to start my wedding-thank yous. Well, one good Jennifer Weiner chapter led to another, and instead, I hauled Certain Girls and my sorry self to Parc Butte Chamont. After taking a peek at the photos below, I do believe you will support my decision.


Thursday was a fantastic cooking class (in French!) at l’Atelier des Chefs and a test drive of my new spring/summer walking shoes. Yep, I can’t believe I am saying this (mom and dad, you will be so proud), but I now wear one pair of shoes, the SAME pair, almost daily. And, to add insult to lack of injury, they are from a walking store (however, Nicole Richie was wearing them in the most recent Us Weekly so I feel a little but better about my decision). Post-class, I headed with one of my friends to a magazine swap, where I soon befriended the hostess’s four-year old son. Perhaps it was the brightly colored sugar puffs I brought, but whatever the connection (or confection), I got shown fire engines all afternoon long. I can also, I am pleased to announce, now name the cars from Disney’s Cars. A successful day, I would say.


My creation (onions, citronelle, zucchini, sprouts, and dorado....steamed and polished off with salt. Voila!)



Friday started off with a four mile walk towards the rec center in Kremlin Bicetre to cook Colombian fare with the kiddos from Enfants du Monde. After hours of chopping tomatoes, scallion, and avocados, the end product of empanadas, guacamole, yucca, fried plantains and bananas, and rice with pepper was well worth the early rise. One young lady was beyond pleased with the “pepper sauce” carrier I brought for her: an Estee Lauder make-up case that was the perfect size to fit the jar she toted around with her. I told her that she was in Paris now, so she needed to look chic, even when toting around her spices. And then, as a gift in return, as we were inhaling our fried deliciousness, I was handed a quarter by one of the young men who had brought it for me. He could not communicate to me where he had gotten it, but I think I made it very clear how honored I was that he had brought me American money. As an aside, I did let him keep it, and did not rob him of his 25 cents. And on that note (literally) as we ate, we jived to Fifty Cents (I tried for Dido, but for some reason they weren’t as excited with that selection). I am sorry to say that Soulja Boy was not available. Post-meal, I headed to the coordinator’s grand palais for an afternoon coffee and chocolate. Her home is simply perfect -- filled with items she has collected on her journeys and with a view that would make it hard to leave. The Eiffel Tower, roof-tops and church spires all greet you when you stand on her long terrace (covered in meticulously planted pots). I walked home with a new collection of English books and a spring in my step, as we had just had a lovely conversation about emailing. I told her that I have a hard time keeping up with it. She told me to write a nice long ditty in Word, adjust accordingly, and paste for each email. So, as I walked home along the Seine, sun beating on my face, morale high, I decided to forgo the Word document, as I have a better idea. I hope you enjoyed my post/email. I look forward to chatting with you again next blog post. Bon week-end!


Parc Butte Chaumont







No comments:

Post a Comment